Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, “Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?” God said, “I did do something. I made you.” ~Author Unknown

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Will he get to go to school?

             
It was our last day in Ethiopia, and we were visiting an orphanage and doing a little shopping before we had to pack up.  We had stopped on a little side street in front of a little shop in order to pick up some translation papers.  I had "G" on my lap, and we were looking out the open bus window at everyone when a boy about 13 to 15ish approached my window asking me to buy some gum.  I immediately said "no thanks".  He persisted, and I was a little annoyed.  I had "G" on my lap and was totally trying to focus on him and didn't want the "disruption".  But, then we started talking, and I had a reality check...

"Will he get to go to school?"

That was what he wanted to know.  He looked at "G" and asked "Will he get to go to school?"  He wasn't selling the gum for extra money or to annoy me.  He was trying to make enough money to go back to school after the break.
 
Since we got home, I have thought of our exchange often, not only because I was impressed by this pleasant young man, but also because of my actions - or should I say inaction.  You know...we had a nice conversation, and I enjoyed talking with him, but as the bus pulled away, I had my second reality check...

I didn't buy a piece of gum.  I. Did. Not. Buy. A. Piece. Of. Gum.  Isn't that ironic?  I was on my way to an orphange "to be the hands and feet", and I had this sweet boy right in front of me basically asking me for a little hope, and I didn't do it.  How many times does God put things right in front of us, and we miss it?  We're too busy, we didn't plan for it, it makes us uncomfortable, blah, blah, blah.

Needless to say...this was one of those moments that I sooo regret, and I pray that next time I get it right.
  

3 comments:

  1. Hey Vanessa! No condemnation - seriously!! You were overwhelmed and there is SO much need everywhere there, that you do almost get numb. Love your precious boy, and give a homeless man a pair of gloves and some food next time you see one. Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be (hopefully) traveling to Ethiopia in 2011 to pick up my daughter. I'll keep this story in mind, and I'll be prepared to buy gum should the moment arise. Thanks for sharing - I, too, may have been caught off guard. Now I'll know what to do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Vanessa! Powerful post my friend. I know how you feel and when you return you can buy a piece or several pieces of gum. Hugs to you and your darling family. So cool to hear that you will be returning to Ethiopia in July!

    ReplyDelete