We've been home for 2 months today !!!
okay...I don't know how many pictures 1 post can hold...
What have we been doing the last 2 months...
"B" didn't start school for 2 more weeks after "G" got home. It was a good time for them to bond. The water table was a big hit. The weather was perfect, and they could play for hours with the water.
Another big hit was the trampoline. The girls got it for their birthday. "G" was a little unsure at first. At first, he would only tolerate one person jumping at a time. We used that opportunity to teach him about taking turns. (Something that was a totally new concept.) I believe it has also helped him with his muscle tone. At first, he didn't know how to jump and was scared to fall. Now, he thinks it's funny to fall down.
"B" started preschool in September. She is in the pre-k program at church. I LOVE her teacher and the entire program. It is a perfect stepping stone to kindergarten. There are 15 children in her class with 8 girls and 7 boys. She has gone to school with these children since she was 2. At 5, she already has so many wonderful friends.
Just 2 weeks after we got home, we welcomed one of "G" best friends from Ethiopia. His friend, Yohannes, was at the orphanage with him and lives just 10 minutes down the road. This was "G" first time out. On the way to the airport, "G" kept saying "G's Yohannes". He was so excited to see him as we were driving. When we got there, he was a little anxious about what was going on. Both of the boys weren't quite sure what to do with each other. It was still good to see Yohannes home.
Since we are kinda housebound, "G" has washed just about everything on our deck. I've even seen him take his cup out to the water table to wash it. And, I have had to stop him several times from washing his shoes. He is definitely reenacting something he either saw or did in Ethiopia.
Isn't he just the cutest little thing. I love this boy!
This picture shows 2 important details - ice and gates. When "G" first got home, he only wanted tap water. He has just discovered ice and has to have ice in his water. The gates are also a must. They keep the "woosa (sp?)" away. I read in multiple places that Ethiopian children are often times afraid of dogs. "G" loves ours as long as she is safely behind the gate. I was hoping that this would quickly pass, but it hasn't. Baby steps.
These girls love their new brother. "G" can do no wrong in "A" eyes. She just absolutely loves him. "B", on the other hand, loves him, but he has to follow her rules - like he isn't allowed in her room. It has been ummmm... interesting trying to explain why he has different rules than the girls, and why his punishments are different. Some of the kiddos favorite games together is hide-n-seek and chase.
After a month home, "G" has his first playdate with his friend Yohannes. I had asked our social worker her thoughts on this. She thought it would be a good idea since they already knew each other. "G" was excited to see his friend, but I could also tell that he was a little scared. He wasn't sure what I meant by going over to Yohannes' house. I think he may have thought Ethiopia. Once we were there, he still remained a little distant. He had a good time though, and it was good for both of us to get out of the house. I am so glad these boys can grow up together. Yohannes had only been home for 2 weeks, and he was doing great.
From Ethiopia to America.
These boys are just 1 month apart in age.
The first time I tried to take "G" to the park he wasn't up for it. Once we made it to the playground, he was ready to get back in the van. I waited a couple of weeks and decided to try it again. This time it would be a family event. It worked. He loved it.
He was so proud of himself after going down the slide. He was very uncomfortable with the big slides, so we stuck with the toddler slides. We did this little slide about 20 consecutive times. Everything is baby steps.
"B" thoroughly enjoys herself on the swings. This totally depicts her personality.
We took the bikes with us to the park. "G" wants to ride sooo bad like his big sisters. He's just can't quite get the hang of it. Daddy ends up pushing him the entire time. He still tries and tries. He still has a good time.
Yes, I know he is riding a purple bike and that he drives a pink Barbie jeep. Remember, he has 2 big sisters, and besides, I think he can pull it off in his camo pants.
After the bike riding, we pull out the wagon. "G" got a big kick that Big sis is pulling him.
"G" has been to his first play group. Normally, this would be off limits. But it was a small group of other adoptive moms who understood what the rules of "cocooning" were - like direct all his needs back to momma.
I was very nervous, but he had a good time. He loved all the new toys especially the big trucks. He wasn't up for any pictures, and I didn't want to overload him. So, I could only snap a few when he wasn't looking. I still wanted to capture his first play group.
For our first big family outing...we went to a pumpkin patch. It was a perfect day!
The first thing "G" says when he gets in the truck is music. And, his favorite artist...Shania Twain. "S" has a ton of old CDs in the garage. The kiddos somehow found Shania Twain, and they absolutely love it, especially "G". (Of course, they only like the first 2 songs.) "G" can really bust a move when it come on. It is very impressive. There's a whole neck move that I've never seen anywhere except in Ethiopia. I hope he doesn't lose it.
The girls love the tire swings.
We finished our perfect day with a picnic.
We had our first playdate with Yohannes at our house a couple of weeks ago. "G" was excited to now have him over to his house. Before he got there, he talked about how he wanted to show Yohannes his room. It was very cute. It was easy to get him ready for the day. We eagerly awaited his arrival on the steps.
This time you could really see the boys personalities coming out. They were truly enjoying each other and having a good time. Again, the water table was a hit. They kept trying to get each other wet, and then they would just laugh. It was so wonderful to hear their laughter and to see how much fun they were having.
(The white in Yohannes' hair is suds.)
Since we got home, I have had to cut back on doing anything extra, so I could focus on "G". I really feel blessed that I can be home with him and focus on him. But, I have missed being able to volunteer at "A" school. I was so glad to go to her Fall Party. She just loves school, and her teachers just love her. I am so proud of her. She is turning into a beautiful young girl. She is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside.
Washing cars is one of "S" favorite home activities. I think "G" is going to be like his daddy. He loves cars and he loves to wash :) Just precious seeing them together.
Okay...I think that about does it...that is a glimpse into our last 2 months.

I love all of these! It made me laugh that his favorite artist is Shania Twain!!! LOVE that!
ReplyDeleteWOW- LOVE the updates, and the glimpse into your last 2 months :) YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! Continuing to pray for you all as you go through the transitions. He is of course gorgeous!!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful update!!! I love seeing your little man with his big sisters-- it all looks very familiar :) He and Y are 2 peas in a pod and what a change from seeing them together at HH to now at your homes! We pray for you every night and talk about G daily. May God continue to bless you!
ReplyDeleteI just love all the pictures. He is so beautiful. Hope we can hang out again soon.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Amy