(Thursday, August 26)
This is our last day in Ethiopia. On one hand, I am sad to see it all come to an end, but on the other hand, I can't wait to be home. We've been on the mountain top and down in the valley.
I'm excited about this morning. Us and the LeFebers get to visit the Bethzatha Children's Home and love on some orphans. (The rest of the group is going to Entoto Mountain.) Many of the children that HH receives come from Bethzatha. (Bethzatha has several branches, but the one in Addis is the main one.) Children cannot leave Bethzatha to come to HH until all of their relinquishment paperwork is complete. Depending upon how much is completed before the child arrives, a child might be there for a couple of days or a couple months.
Danny and Seegay pick us up around 9. It is fun just to get out of the hotel and go for a ride. We turn off a main road, and it is bumpy - like I can't believe we don't need 4 wheel drive. It's hard to believe that we are even on a road. Most of the side roads are like this.
When we get there, the director gives us a tour of the place. We start in the room where all the toddlers are. They are all sitting down coloring. They are all so sweet, and one little girl just grabs my hand. I get several pictures of her. She loves seeing her picture as do all of the children. I'm just hanging out when Seegay comes and gets me. Everyone else has left the room, and the director wants me to come so he can give us all a tour.
We start in the baby/toddler house. Just like at HH, you have to take off your shoes when you enter. They have these croc-like shoes to put on to walk through the house. There are several rooms for the babies and younger toddlers. (An AGCI mission team painted murals on all of the walls.) Some babies are in their cribs, and some are sunning out on the balcony. Another room is called the isolation room. When babies first arrive, they stay in this room until the staff can evaulate their health. There is another room for 2 special needs children. One was sleeping, and the other one was just lying there. I'm told that she is deaf and blind, but I think there's more due to the way she was just lying there. I just stroke her cheeks. She has been there since she was a baby, and I'm guessing she is at least 6ish. Even though it is so sad, I know that one day, she will be in heaven dancing and singing and just having the best time ever.
Then, we head to see the older children.
They are in the middle of their studies. I am stuck by their gentle spirits. I kinda squeeze into the room. There are about 10 of them each at their own desk surrounded by bunk beds. The room doubles as school room and their bedroom. And, it is a tight squeeze. I so want to acknowledge each one of them and shake their hand. They are working on multiplication. I tell them what a great job they are doing. They are just so grateful and hungry for acknowledgement.
Next, we hit the laundry area and kitchen area.
G is doing so well on the tour. Of course, one of us is holding him the whole time.
After the tour, I asked the director if I could give the kids a snack - granola bars. He says yes. S heads to the older children, and I take the toddlers. They are all still sitting around the tables quietly coloring. The TV is on, but none of them are watching it. I can tell it is about Jesus, and just about that time, I see Jesus being nailed to the cross - pretty heavy for toddlers. Julie and I start openning up granola bars. We make sure that everyone gets one including the staff.
Once they are done eating, I'm ready to hand out the bouncy balls that I brought. I ask the director if it is okay. He says yes. The children were so excited to get the balls. They all patiently sit and wait their turn. And within mere minutes, the children go from calmly sitting to going crazy with balls bouncing every direction. It was awesome!
Of course, G got several balls. He was having fun bouncing them back and forth with Danny. He didn't seem the least little bit interested in the other children and stayed outside the toddler room.
Now, that there was fun chaos with the toddlers, it was time to give balls to the older children. I didn't want to distrub them again, but I know that they don't get visitors everyday. They were actually in the middle of a test. I handed a ball to each one, and they all just grinned from ear to ear and said the sincerest thank you ever. I just wanted to love on them all.
We went back to the toddler room, and they were still having a blast. I gave the remainder of the granola bars and balls to the director. He was so appreciative. I just wish I had more to give them.
Even though Bethzatha is a far cry from Hannah's Hope, it is still pretty clean and organized, and you can tell that the staff truly care about the children. They are doing the best they can with what they have.
I went there thinking I was going to bless the children, but THEY were the ones who BLESSED me! They are all so precious and full of potential. I pray that they all are placed in loving homes where they can experience healing and live out their God-given potential. It was awesome being there!
After a couple hours there, it was time to leave. Since we had a little extra time, we decided to go shopping. Julie had a couple of things she still wanted to get, and I just wanted to look around. I quickly got an appreciation of how hard it was for S to get all the items he had bought earlier. I am not used to barginning. I am glad Seegay was there to hold my hand. We didn't have too much time. G was quickly getting tired of hanging out in the van. I did get a couple more things checked off the list. It was fun!
We head back. We need to give G a bath since he didn't get one last night. It is at this point that you start to celebrate the small steps. On the first night, he wasn't having anything to do with the bath; on the second try, he was reluctant, and now, it is hard to get him out of the bath. Baby steps!! We're feeling pretty good, and we're going to try to get G down for a nap too. We've got a late night. Our plane doesn't leave until 10:15 p.m. It is important that he get one.
As luck would have it, I need to go check on Henry and see what he found for us :), so I can't stay and help S. Henry is walking into the lobby right as I get there. Jackpot. He found most of everything on my list. It was awesome!
When I get back to the room, S is all smiles. G went down without too much trouble. Now, it is time to pack up.
Very moving to see the pics of Bethzatha. Looking at each little face wondering if any of them could be our little girl. Thanks for sharing all of the details and giving us a window to see into their world.
ReplyDelete