We're packed and ready to go.
There are 4 other families with us on the same flight out of Addis. It is such a blessing to have them with us. We'll need all hands on deck to help in case G plays "chase me".
We leave at 6:00 p.m. All of the other couples have babies, except for us and Markos (22 months), so they need to get there early in hopes of securing a bassinet on the flight. Even though I am not looking forward to the 17 hour plane ride, I'm even more dreading the 4 hour wait at the airport.
We make it to the airport and through all the security and checks pretty easily. As we check in, the man at the desk hands us our "Cloud Nine Lounge" card. I had totally forgotten about this little perk of business class. It proved to be a God send. We hated to leave the group, but it was a necessity. The lounge was very nice and more importantly very empty. It was the perfect spot to contain G for 3 1/2 hours.
Right before we were set to get on the plane, G was rubbing his eyes. He was soooo tired. This was going to be perfect. He's tired, we'll give him some Benedryl, the plane will lull him to sleep, and he'll sleep for the 1st leg of the trip. Right?!?!
We get on the plane, and all is good.
G has his very own seat in business class where he can stretch out and go to sleep.
The LeFebers and Kristen are just several rows back. I'm not sure where the other 2 families ended up sitting.
Well...I think the Benedryl must have had an opposite effect, because he was WIRED. He wasn't mad or sad - just absolutely bouncing off the walls - for HOURS!!! It took everything I had to keep him from breaking his neck, because he would just jump in all directions without any thought to where he was going. (S got a little snipit of this on his phone, but I cannot figure out how to download it here.) And, I am pulling out everything from my bag of tricks. Now, during all of this, S was having a 4 course meal across the aisle and chatting with his seat neighbor.
During this time, I just kept thinking...well...at least he isn't screaming and crying. After about 5ish hours (not typo) of bouncing off the walls, then comes the crying. LOUD crying. One of the flight attendants brings over a coloring book suggesting that maybe he would like to color. It's about 4 am. I'm telling you the Holy Spirit was in me, because I really wanted to say Coloring? Really? The child has just had his world turned upside down; he's scared; and he is exhausted; and you think coloring is going to help. But, I just smiled and let her try. Then, several others "help out". It actually is very nice, but all I wanted to do was to let him cry and get it all out. Not being mean...my thoughts were that it was like a pressure valve, and he just needed to get out those emotions.
Finally, after about 2 hours or so (not typo), he stops and falls asleep. Thank you Sweet Jesus! I hurry up and take an Ambien. I need to get some rest too. I am emotionally exhausted. I'm up after about 4 hours, and G is up right after me. He has slept right around 5 hours. He has recharged his battery and is back bouncing off the walls. Only about 5 more hours to go! And, I look over at S, and he is asleep.
When we land in DC, I am BEYOND ready to get OFF that plane. Our group is still together, and we are all glad to check off that leg of the trip.
We get through the million security checks. Then, I can finally go to the bathroom and freshen up. I at least feel human again. We all eat at Five Guys. It is soooo good. G eats some fries, 2 bananas and some gold fish. He is still going full steam.
We make it to our next flight and get a spot by the window. YEAH!!! We can sit and watch the airplanes take off and land.
We also got bumped up to first class, but the seats aren't together. That's fine, because it is S's turn to manage G on the airplane.
G did much better on this leg - no crying but still somewhat energized and hard to contain in a seat. I had given him the last toy from my bag of tricks prior to boarding the plane - a play cell phone. Up until this point, I hadn't given him anything electronic. He was all into the sounds. I was a couple of seats over, and we were just starting our flight, when I heard the flight attendant ask, "Does that thing have a battery?" S's reply, "Do you have a screwdriver?" I could have busted out laughing.
Later, when S was up with G for a potty break. The flight attendant told S, "You really shouldn't be up." S's response, "Do you want to clean it up?"
We finally landed in Atlanta. The flight was only an hour or so, but I am sure the flight attendant was ready for us to leave.
We're killing a little time before our NEXT flight takes off, when they come over the loud speaker and say that the plane is delayed, because the flight crew hasn't arrived yet. NO!! Not delayed! We ended up only being delayed about 20 minutes.
This flight is only 45 minutes long, and G is just awesome. He is finally starting to run out of steam. I mean the poor boy has only slept a total of 7 hours over the last 40ish hours. Given that, he has done awesome!
When the plane lands, I think I am the first person up with bags in hand. I am so ready to see my girls and get G home.
this is the part i'm most scared about!!!! sounds like you all handled it like pros! and i love S's responses to the flight attendant!!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your experience with all of us. I've enjoyed reading every detail! May the Lord knit your family together as you journey ahead with G! You are in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteOOOHHHH, my gosh. That sounds a lot like our exhausting trip. Were you totally sweating in the airplane? I sure was. And my husband slept most of the way because he got really sick. BUT, at least both the girls slept, I think around 8 or 9 hours, and fell asleep almost immediately. I can't imagine! Glad to hear everyone survived. hehehe.
ReplyDeleteWOW- sounds like a very crazy trip. I think Flight Attendants need to fill out Eyes Wide Open Book- he he he he- then maybe they would understand a bit more :)
ReplyDeleteI remember our flight Jonathan actually did really well (he was 18 months). I mean he made noise, but not that much...and we had a guy who literally turned around a glared at him. OOOO- let me tell you......He is sooo lucky I am a Christian Woman- he he he
Praying as you transition.....LOVE his cute face :)
S0 awesome! I posted links to your journey here http://journey2ethiopia.blogspot.com/p/ethiopia.html - hope thats ok - if you have any questions or want me to change it email me youngsfaith At gmail
ReplyDelete