(August 20)
S and I slept great, and we were up and ready to meet "G". We weren't scheduled to pick him up until Sunday, but given all that we had been through, the director of Hannah's Hope said that we didn't have to wait any longer. Love that woman!
We weren't sure if we would be able to bring him back with us or just visit with him. It turned out perfectly that we just got to visit with him. I think it put us all at ease where we could just enjoy the moment. I can't imagine meeting him and leaving with him all within 2 hours.
Hannah's Hope driver, Wass, picked us and the LeFebers up at 10 am, and within about 10ish minutes, we passed the All God's Children International sign, and it started to feel very real.
It's hard to put into words the emotions you feel. You are in Africa - picking up your son - he is 3 - he's had 3 years on this earth, and you don't know all the details - he doesn't speak English - you don't know him - you love him - you have NO idea how this meeting is going to turn out - will he like you - will you have a connection - will he shut down - will you know what to do with him. All you know is that God is good, and that this is His plan. It all boils down to trust. And, it is all trust, because everything is an unknown.
As we enter in through the gates, I am trying to hold it together. I don't want to be crying when we first meet him. We are quickly told that he is expecting us, but he is eating a snack, so it will be a few more minutes. He has been "waiting" for us and is "expecting" us - no pressure there :)
Within the compound there are 2 main houses. One houses the babies, and one houses the older children. We go with the LeFebers to find their little one. He is 5 months old and just precious. It is a nice distraction as they take us on a little tour of the babies house. (This is their 2nd trip.) There are 4 rooms upstairs where the babies sleep. Downstairs there are several more rooms. One is like a playroom for the babies. Another one is the nurse's room.
As we are leaving the baby house and getting our shoes on, I see a glimpse of "G" from my side. He is just waiting for us. Of course, I have shoes that I have to tie, and it seems like it is taking forever. I'm trying not to look until I can fully see him. We hurriedly give our camera equipment to the LeFebers to start taking pictures.
I was alittle anxious about meeting him in front of EVERYbody (staff). But, in the moment, everyone just kinda fades away. It was truly a divine moment, and I felt God's pressence. I had prepared myself for the worst. (part of the training) But, it was so better than I ever imagined. He was beautiful, and he "felt" like mine. As I previously posted, he ran right up to me, jumped in my arms and said mama. It was God's plan. Simple - A child needed a mommy and a daddy, and we could be that mommy and daddy.
We played with him for about 2 hours, and then it was time for his lunch. We weren't able to eat lunch with him. One of his little buddies had gotten upset and was missing his parents, so they asked us to wait outside the lunch room. (His buddy will be coming home in less than 2 weeks and will live about 10 minutes from us. God is in the details.)
We used this time to check out the older children's house. As you can tell from the pictures, the staff keeps the house emmaculate, and they utilize all the space.
Community shoes - 1st come - 1st serve
This is "G" room.
This is his bed.
When a bed comes available, HH lets the government orphanage know, and they send a child. HH never knows anything about the child - boy/girl, age, health status, etc. So, things have to stay flexible. A toddler may leave, but a baby may take his place - or vice versa.
The weather was awesome, and we were able to be on the balcony.
It was wonderful just to stand there and soak it all in.
It was wonderful just to stand there and soak it all in.
Addis Ababa is surrounded by mountains. It is very beautiful.
It seems like everything is half-finished and idle.
As we were in "G" bedroom, we heard the children coming. It was naptime and good-bye time. I was wondering how it would all play out, but it went great. He gave us hugs good-bye and let us kiss him. We didn't leave sad but energized.
On the wall of the staircase in the older child house
It was a perfect 1st meeting!
Get chills just reading.....beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteVanessa, what a beautiful story of your meeting. I believe God gave you this as a gift after your very long waiting and all that you struggled through. I'm so happy for your family!
ReplyDelete