(August 19th)
Even though we had 24+ hours of travel time, we had a great time getting to Ethiopia. We flew Ethiopian Airlines from DC to Addis Ababa, and it was the smoothest landing ever. The flight attendants were friendly, and the food was good and plentiful. We ended up doing business class due to flight schedules, but it was money well spent. We both actually slept quite a bit on the plane. "S" had convinced me that we needed an Ambien perscription, and I was so glad that he did. It proved to be a "must-have" due to the 8 hour time change and nerves.
We arrived around 7:30 pm and quickly found our driver from the hotel.
Getting to the hotel was an adventure. I was all wide-eyed and trying to take it all in. There are NO traffic lights, and people and livestock seemed to be everywhere. At one point, I kept seeing folks walking carrying what seemed to be torches or candles, which was kinda freaky. With the driver's limited English, he couldn't communicate what they were doing. I later learned that it was the Orthodox Christians celebrating St. Mary.
We finally made it to our hotel, The Riviera.
(We got a kick from this in the lobby.)
We opted for a suite, and I am so glad that we did. Now, the suites were several grades BELOW a regular room, and I would totally recommend a regular room UNLESS you are adopting an older child. With "G", it was crucial that we be able to put him down at night, and then go in the other room.
The suites are not attached to the hotel. You had to walk through a small parking lot, and then to a separate building.
This is pretty much the bedroom. "G" had a roll-a-way bed, and we wedged it in between the wall and the bed. It worked well.
Living area - view 1
Living area - view 2
If this appears small, then just imagine it smaller, and then you'd be about right. Once we added "G" to the mix, the room got TIGHT. It's hard to manage a very active 3 year old in 10' x 12' room for 5 days.
Once we got settled, we both took an Ambien and slept great!
I love finally being in Ethiopia!
Matt wants to get Ambien as well! I don't like taking "drugs" period, but sounds like I may need to give in!
ReplyDelete