Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, “Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?” God said, “I did do something. I made you.” ~Author Unknown

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Reading...Move Over Junie B. Jones


After reading a Junie B. Jones book in bed with AB, I was surprised - and not in a good way.  (Everything/everybody was stupid or she hated something throughout the entire book - at least in the book I read.)  There had to be a better book series for young readers.  One of my friends, Nicole G., introduced me to The Cul-De-Sac Kids series.  I highly recommend them.   There are 20+ books in the series, so perfect for summer.  AND, the first book even talks about adoption.  AB seems to enjoy them.
 

5 comments:

  1. i'm so going to find these, kj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books. We have loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls pointed out Junie B's attitude early on to me. So many of the newer children's books have attitudes our family does not approve of. I recommend a book called "Books Children Love" to help you choose books that are worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if they're still around....think they are...but we used to read a series called "Angel in My Backpack". Can't remember, but that may be middle school age....so, you might not quite be ready for them....but keep your eye out for them! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, thank you!! I SO agree with you. Abbie was given some as a gift when she was 6. We started reading one Junie B. and they were whisked out the door to Goodwill!! There are so many great books for kids that encourage them and provide good role models that there is no reason to waste time on that junk!. Same reason that my son was never allowed to read 'Cpt. Underpants.' Can you tell I have a strong opinion on this??! Been praying for you as you wait!

    ReplyDelete