Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, “Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?” God said, “I did do something. I made you.” ~Author Unknown

Monday, February 15, 2010

Stop Praying and Just Do It!

    
Sarah, Nicole, Heather, Betsy and Lori
   
It is so awesome and humbling to see God's hand at work.  My covenant group just finished reading Wild Goose Chase.   (If you haven't read it, then I highly recommend it.)    In one of the chapters, it says that it is "time to quit praying". Of course, if you read the section, the author isn't saying to quit praying, but he is stressing the importance and difference between "doing/actions" and "well-meaning thoughts".  It is our responsibility to act on the promptings of the Holy Spirit.  Well, that is just what my friend Sarah did.  She says that she and her daughter pray every night about the suffering children of the world.    On this particular night, she felt that it was time to stop just thinking about it and to do something about it.  She started thinking about how to use her gifts to help.  Well, she used to arrange flowers, and one thing led to another, and at the end, my covenant group was all working together to arrange and sell Valentine's Day bouquets in order to raise money for our adoption. 
   
Now, the old me (husband included) would have resisted the help - I can do this by myself, What if no one buys any, What if it offends someone, etc.  But through this experience, and as God refines me, I am learning that it isn't about me.  It is about HIS plan and HIS glory.  I think God is well-pleased with Sarah for "doing" what he put on her heart.  She, along with the others, probably think that it was no big deal, but I happen to think that it is kingdom work!  It blessed my family, brought more awareness to children in need, and even maybe inspired someone else to action. 
 
Well, we were hoping to sell at least 20 bouquets, and we ended up selling 50.  And, there was even some talk, that maybe we do something like this every year to help out a cause. 
 
These women inspire me!
 

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about - doing it yourself....but wow what an awesome feeling of love and sacrifice when others open up to God calling them to help too.

    You are BLESSED! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous friend and a wonderful idea. I know exactly what you mean about resisting. Before our journey, I would resist help at all costs, even if someone offered to babysit. I think in society we are so trained to think that we should be the ones doing everything. However, God blesses us immensely through others and things He places on their hearts. We just have to drop the pride and allow Him to work.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. yayy...such awesome friends!! :) kj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for you kind comments on my blog. What a wonderful/crazy/emotional journey adoption is! So happy to see you moving down the list!

    Shannon Stivers

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband led our small group in this study. We were both moved into action! We are so happy to be going through our adoption journey with such faithful people. Thanks for sharing! www.road2ethiopia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete