Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, “Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?” God said, “I did do something. I made you.” ~Author Unknown

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Beginning...

It's a beautiful July evening, and we are driving home from an Amazima benefit, a ministry serving the orphans and poor in Uganda, Africa.  Both of us know what God has just laid on our hearts, but we sit in silence.  Somehow, we both know what the other one is thinking.  Putting fear aside, we finally start talking and digesting what we had heard.  It is at that moment that we know our lives would forever be changed.  Adoption was calling. 

The next few weeks we spent praying and discerning God's will for our lives.  This is not what we planned.  Our life was comfortable.  But...we wanted to be sure; we wanted to be obedient; we wanted to live our lives in accordance to our faith.  Most importantly, we didn't want to miss out on the blessings that He has for our family if we would just believe.

God seemed to use everyone around us.  We weren't suppose to be at the Amazima benefit.  It was my mother-in-law's birthday, and I had already told our table hosts, Jason & Holly, that we wouldn't be able to make it.  I didn't want to ask her to watch our girls on her birthday, but my husband said that he would like to go.  She of course said yes.  Our good friends, Will & Krisit (video on the side), were scheduled to lead our Sunday School class on their adoption journey, but we were scheduled to teach BB's Sunday School class.  As it turns out, we were double booked with another couple, and they insisted on staying, so we got to hear Will & Kristi's story. Right before we were going to tell our family, I was worrying and asked God to show me.  I got my Bible and opened it right to a passage on worrying.  The list goes on and on...

God kept gently saying "yes - adoption".  Now, that we know yes, but where? We had decided that we would be open and allow God to lead us.  There is need all over the world, even right here in the USA, but God kept bringing us to Ethiopia, and we felt totally at peace.  To give you a little education on the orphan crisis, here are just a few facts...

  • There are between 147 and 210 MILLION orphans in the world.
  • The current US population is approximately 303 million.
  • Ethiopia has roughly 4.8 to 6 million orphans.  Basically, if you took all the children in New York, Massachusetts, and the District of Columbia - removed their parents - then you would have the number of Ethiopian orphans.
  • 1 in 10 children die before their 1st birthday.
  • Malnutrition is responsible for more than half of all deaths among children under 5.
  • Only 24% of Ethiopians have access to safe drinking water.
  • Only 36% of the country is literate.
  • Approximately 10% of the population has HIV/AIDS, and the life expectancy is around 55.  (It is 78 in the USA.)
It is hard to wrap my brain around what goes on "outside the bubble" of my life.

With all of this in our mind and on our heart, we forge ahead.  We have selected a wonderful agency, All God's Children, to help us navigate through the process.  (The book, The Strengh of Mercy tells how their agency started.)

Someone asked me the other day, "With so many orphans, how will you know what child to pick?"  I won't, God will.

15 comments:

  1. Welcome Bonners to blogging! What a wonderful story...I can't wait to hear and see how this story ends! How exciting and amazing to hear about your answer to God's calling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa and family. I'm Betsy Schubert's sister, and I am excited to be following your journey! I feel like I know Kristi after reading her blog for a while now, and I'm sure I'll feel the same way about your family. It's great to know Betsy has such wonderful people as friends! Blessings, Amy Allen in Chattanooga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! You guys are right about where we are with AGCI! It is always nice to meet families who are in the same place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yayyyyy...so excited and happy for you guys...I just posted your blog site on our blog...What a wonderful, God blessed journey you are beginning!! kj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome!!!! We are working on our homestudy and dossier too with AGCI. Hoping to have whatever child God gives us....probably a little boy! :) Glad you are on your journey. Of course we are a little unique- this will be our 8th child, and all of our children are adopted. We love the stories God weaves through your hearts through adoption! It is beautiful, crazy, painful, and wonderful all at the same time! Enjoy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting to answer God's calling to adoption... adoption is just amazing! We have been so blessed with two beautiful biological daughters Gracie and Emma then God laid adoption upon our hearts last August and we brought home a precious baby boy this past May. His name is Silas and he is just perfect! We feel so blessed. I can't wait to follow your journey to Ethiopia. Hang on for the most amazing ride of your life! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey guys ... congrats! It was great meeting you at the fellowship group ... please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!

    I clicked over from Kristi's blog, my husband Gray and I were just approved by AGCI too! YAY! we are fundraising the money for contract and home study and hopefully we will have it all turned in soon! It's so great to know of another family working with this wonderful agency.

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited to see you started a blog! Looking forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We will be praying for you as you start your journey! I know Kristi and we are good friends with Troy and Amber! We adopted our sweet Kate and we are in the process of our second adoption! God is so awesome to bring amazing people into your life throughout this process...the small things are so huge in this journey!

    God Bless & God Speed!
    Kandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello there Bonner Family!! I am so excited to read and follow your journey towards adoption. I am a college friend of one of the Deatheridge sisters and have been following Lucy's story since I heard the good news. I am a mother of one little girl and some day down the road am interested in adopting as well. I guess that is why I am finding such interest in learning and watching the journey. Good Luck to your family as you embark on this amazing journey and know you are making such a difference in the life of a child and others.

    Nicole
    Louisville, KY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your journey of faith towards adoption! I love how God orchestrated your decision to adopt. We are adopting through America World and are waiting for our court date on Oct. 7 so believe me when I say that when the road gets rocky and you think the day will never come when you will see your child's face, don't give up hope - the moment is SO AWESOME when God reveals your child to you for the 1st time! I'll be praying for your journey!

    Erica R.
    http://reedadoption.blogspot.com
    Murfreesboro, TN

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! We are also in the early stages of adopting from Ethiopia through AGCI. We have 3 biological children under the age of 8 and live in East Tn. How inspiring to read about your journey! Blessings,
    Polly
    adams5farmfun@att.net

    p.s.-there's a great adoption conference in Franklin called "Together for Adoption", Oct.2-3, some of the topics are transracial adoption, international adoption, etc. email me if you need any info

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!!! Congratulations on starting this journey. My husband and I started our process with AGCI in August and are awaiting our approval...so nice to meet people who are in a similar place in the process!
    Blessings,
    Ashley Scott
    ashrscott@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations on starting your journey! My husband and are adopting through AGCI as well. We are waiting for our referral at #4 on the boys list!!! i look forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete