Monday, September 28, 2009
12 - 24 Months
...draw a picture of your future child...use your imagination to picture your future child in your mind...what is it's age, race, gender, etc....
This is the first exercise from one of our required adoption workbooks. Yes, I attempted to draw this child. I am no artist, so you can imagine what he looked like. From the onset of this process, we knew that we would be adopting a little boy and pictured a toddler. The decision came with relative ease. However, after hearing "the younger the better", over and over, we really began to doubt the age part. (In the adoption world, an older child is any child over 12 months.) We were struggling! Our age preference shifted from day to day. One day we would say definitely an infant, the next day we would say toddler, and it went back and forth for weeks. I would tease SB and ask if he'd gotten an email from God stating the age perimeters for us.
After many hours of researching, talking, praying, listening and finally "being still", 12 to 24 months is our age perimeter. It's funny how God gives you a revelation; we've always known, we just needed to "be still" and trust.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You made a good choice. Go with your gut !!! Good to visit again last night with you guys.
ReplyDeleteGlad you listened to God and not man. Easy to get caught up on things that you hear or say. God ALWAYS knows best. Hey, remember drawing- actually watching my husband draw that pic and thinking that it was so crazy. I should post a pic of it after we get our copy of the book back- it would give everyone a laugh :)
ReplyDeletePraise God how He leads...and amazing to think your little guy is already born and we can pray for him!!! Can't wait to see the rest of your story. This was hard for us too...this was especially hard for me as I felt drawn to toddler but my husband felt led to maintain the birth order of our children. In my 1 on 1 interview with our social worker, she felt strongly that for our particular family we should honor birth order and since I have a 11 month old...my heart had to submit to my husband and how the Lord is leading him...and now my heart is slowly getting more excited about a baby although I felt very "done" with the itty bitty baby stage. I'm still nervous about it as I always pictured a toddler...but I can see how God continues to prepare me and line Richard and I up to be one in agreement...still I like being the one who doesn't have to change:)...just the stubborn part of me. I'm SOOO excited about your age perimeter and think it's such a FUN, SWEET age!!! Can't wait to see pictures one day:)
ReplyDeleteso sweet...He'll still be very "baby" like for the girls to love on...So perfect...I can't wait to meet him...Praying for him across the ocean somewhere :) kristi
ReplyDeleteWoo hoo!! And we're right there with you, same age parameters!! I am really getting excited for your guys, I can feel it, things are going to happen fast!! kim
ReplyDelete