Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, “Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?” God said, “I did do something. I made you.” ~Author Unknown

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Ordinary Hero - A Day in the City - Day 2

  
I got up after a good nights rest, thank you Ambien, ready to go.  We started our day off at a local orphanage.  We didn't see their actual facility, but I was impressed with their approach.  There are approximately 5 to 6 million orphans and street children in Ethiopia.  It is a crisis.  This particular place was attacking the issues from several angles.  However, one of the approaches that made my stomach drop is called "Child-Headed Households".  (It's actually on the bulletin board behind the girls in yellow.) It's basically children taking care of children where the local village looks in on the household, but the head of the household is a child at least 13 years old (not typo - 13 years old). 
  

Another one of the programs supported by this orphanage is sponsorship.  Here is Zak meeting his family's sponsored child.  Zak was one of the amazing youth on our trip.


After we left the orphanage, we headed over to their weekend feeding program.  Here the children are playing a game similar to duck-to-goose while they waited for their food. 

  
The children were all so sweet.  At every place we went, I met at least one special child.  This little girl was so sweet and my special friend.  She taught me how to do a new hand game - just like the ones my daughter and her friends do.  Just another example of how these kids are just like our kids.  And, as she was leaving, she ran back, found me, and gave me the necklace she had been wearing that said "friends".  Melt my heart!


Before I left for my trip, my girls had a bracelet party.  They had some friends over and made about 150 bracelets to hand out to the children in Ethiopia.

  
 The bracelets were a big hit with both girls and boys.  As fast as I could get one tied, I'd have another wrist waiting.



This is their water supply.  The water goes into the basin, and then the children dip their cup into the basin, get their drink, then return their cup into the basin, and then the next child gets the cup and repeats the cycle.  


After we left the feeding program, we headed to another orphanage.  This orphanage is the one that dropped into Ashli (Ordinary Hero Blog) lap.  It was on the brink of shutting down, and she has  been relentlessly trying to keep it open.   
  

This is the playroom room where the children hang out.  I didn't see any toys and it isn't very inviting, and the carpet is....  In spite of the environment, the children were awesome!  (I wish I could post the pictures, but I can't.)   Before we left, the older children gathered in here and sung us songs about Jesus.  Melt my heart!!


This is the toddler room with about 14 toddlers.  Each bed (BTW - most of them were purchased with OH donations) has a picture above it giving the child's brief story.  Two of the children are labeled "Not Adoptable".  This isn't because their parents are in their lives.  It is because paperwork and proper techniques were not exactly followed when the children were found.  As a result, these children will live out their lives "in the system".  Heart-wrenching!



Little Elijah update...  God is good, and miracles happen every day... he got his surgery, and as of latest, he was recovering well.  He still needs prayers as he still has a long recovery road with medical and financial obstacles.  Please continue praying.  If you would like to donate to his medical care, please go to the Ordinary Hero website.  And, my friend, Amy, at filledwithpraise.blogspot.com is having a giveaway to benefit Elijah.

To Be Continued...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment