Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, “Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?” God said, “I did do something. I made you.” ~Author Unknown

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

God's Faithfulness - Looking Back - One Year Ago

 
It's around 3:30, and the phone is ringing.  Is this the call that we have been waiting for dreaming about?  A small group of friends just left, and we've all been just gitty about me getting the call any time now.   As I rush to the phone, I just know that it is AGCI - "The Call", and I feel the Holy Spirit telling me no - this is not the one. 
 
"Hi, "V".  This is Julie from AGCI.  I want to talk with you about your parameters."  She goes on to talk with me about what all we are "open" to in a child.  Then, she says that she has a little boy that she wants to talk with me about.  I get "S" on the phone, and as she lists all of the medical conditions that this little boy has, I just kinda fade out.  I just know that this is not our child.  I feel it in every sense. We decide that Julie is just going to email his information over without a picture, and then we will call her back once we have a chance to look over everything.

While we are waiting on the email, I tell "S" that I don't need to look at his information that I just feel the Holy Spirit telling me no.  "S" says okay and makes the heartbreaking call to Julie telling her that we have decided not to proceed.

I'm crying and do what I do when I don't know what to do.  I get my Bible and head to the livingroom.  I need confirmation from the LORD that we are following His will and not turning away this child based on fear.  As I read, I am washed in God's peace and his scriptures speak to me - Stand Firm, Wait upon the LORD.  
 
Later that night, I email Julie asking her to let me know when this little boy gets a family.  S and I have been talking about financially supporting him until he does.  The next day she lets me know that another family is thrilled to pursue him.

So now, we sit and
Wait upon the LORD.

Two weeks later, as I open up a waiting children email from AGCI, I see the most precious 3 1/2 year old boy - "G".  He's the one!

As our 1st court appointment turns into a 2nd, and our 2nd turns into a 3rd, I started to doubt whether or not I had missed God's will.  Was I wrong?  Was the first little boy the boy God intended to be part of our family?  Then, I read a blog where the blog reader went back to see what was going on in her life the day that her son arrived at the transition home.  

Of course, I do the same.
 
The day that "G" arrived at the transition home was the same day that we got the call from Julie about the other little boy.  It was the same day that I felt God so strongly telling me that the other little boy wasn't the one.  It was the same day that God gave me the words to Stand Firm and Wait Upon the LORD.  Words that had comforted me during the disappointments.

Here we are a year later, and I am in awe of God's faithfulness.  I am in awe of His blessings when we Stand Firm and Wait upon Him.

A year ago today, a tiny 23lb 3 1/2 year old boy half-way across the world walked into Hannah's Hope scared and alone.  Today, he is thriving!  He is vibrant, full of life, full of potential, free to be who God has called him to be. 

 
He is our blessing!
 
How Great is Thy Faithfulness Lord Unto Me!


Thank you to Karen, an amazing friend and photographer, who squeezed us into her busy schedule to capture this day of God's faithfulness.
    

6 comments:

  1. I love this Vanessa. It's amazing to see God's hand at work like that. Also, I love the pic. He's so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is beautiful Vanessa. We will have to catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gave me goosebumps!!!! LOVE HIS story for us :) What a handsome little man!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank YOU Vanessa for letting me play a small role in this amazing story. I'm happy to capture this special day for this amazing boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it great to look back and see God's faithfulness?? LOVE that picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post and wanted to share something personal with you. Do you have an email address that I can email you directly? Or you can send me a message at hrbraam at yahoo dot ca
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete