Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them...he cried, “Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?” God said, “I did do something. I made you.” ~Author Unknown

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Uncomfortable and Loving It

 
"God never called you to be comfortable."  This was something that our late pastor, Dr. Olds, said on several occassions.  It has always stuck with me.  I believe it.  I feel it.
   
Today, we submitted our dossier!  In the adoption world, that is big!  It is months of pouring yourselves out on questionnaires, doing workbooks, lots of paperwork, notarizing, taking classes and meetings with a social worker.  It's the step before getting on the waiting list - one step closer to our son!
 
Well, I find myself uncomfortable, and what a blessing it is! God is giving me strength and faith that I didn't even know I had.  He's teaching me.  You see this adoption has put me "out there".  My life, with all its blemishes, becomes a novel for a domestic social worker, an international social worker, a translator, a judge, and all those in between to read and judge worthy.  When I tell people that we are adopting, I am "out there" for Jesus, for what He has put on our hearts and for what we believe.  It is our calling!  Telling people at church is one thing.  Telling a stranger is completely different. When I tell people that we are adopting from Ethiopia, I am "out there" educating people on the orphan crisis in the world.  There are millions of orphans - children who will die a harsh death, who will literally starve to death, who will become sex slaves, who will become domestic slaves, who will never know the love of Jesus Christ if no one becomes uncomfortable.    So, when I tell people that we are adopting, I am "out there".  And, since our son will be black and we are white, we will forever be "out there."  And, Jesus will always be "out there" with me - with my son - with my family.   Wow!  It is good to be uncomfortable with Jesus!
 

5 comments:

  1. WOW! I can't believe you are already finished with your dossier! CONGRATULATIONS fast lady!!! Gosh, we started just a month after you but I can't imagine being done w/ our dossier a month from now! Oh if that could only be true! YAY! Congratulations to a BIG HUGE step and can't wait to hear what your number is!! WOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on the dossier !! We know how big this is. And I can understand on the feelings of being out of your comfort zone. That is exactly where we are too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN to that!!! I just reread the saying God does not call the equipped, but equips the called. OUT THERE is crazy, drives me insane, and yet there is no better place to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!! What an awesome post....very heart touching. We just sent out our dossier to be certified and then it goes to our agency and we wait!! We r waiting for a girl and boy from Ethiopia. I will always feel the way you do..."out there".....only we who adopt can soooo relate to this. Well said!!!

    Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete